Monday, March 23, 2009

The Road

Nearly 20 years ago I went to see a doctor about some problems I was having. At 29, you think that there's a cure for every ailment. It's just the way it is. But after spending less than an hour with this guy he sat down across the desk from me and said "I think you have MS." And so the story goes. I now know that everything doesn't have a cure and that sometimes you get handed some pretty big packages to carry for the rest of your life.

Today I took George the Younger back to the doctors about his rash. In a whole lot less than an hour she looked at me and said, "I believe that this is psoriasis." Huh? We still don't know that this is what he's got, but it's a pretty heavy package to be holding right now. This would be a BIG deal. This is a lifelong thing. This is what chronic is. This I know.

So, tomorrow we see a great dermatologist who I am hoping has a completely different opinion. I'm hoping he will say that it is flibberty-gibbit-whatcha-hoosey and that but for a couple of pills and a shot of this and some cream all will be well. But, for tonight I worry. I worry a whole lot. I let George the Younger think that all is well, because I am so hoping that it is.

But, if it's not...if this is what he has, then we will work it out. I walk this road every day. I know how to keep moving. But, still if I had my wish - well, we wouldn't have to walk it together. It can be a bumpy road at times. Not what I was hoping for my baby boy.

Am hoping that tomorrow will bring good news and all this hand wringing will be for nothing. I just keep thinking, "If wishes were horses beggars would ride". So, if you all could hope for beggars riding, I would be grateful.

2 comments:

fin said...

I will wish from the other side of the world ... and maybe by joining forces - we can overcome ! Thinking of you, all.

KB said...

Aw man. Scary stuff. Sending warm fuzzy thoughts your way and hope that it's just something gross and teenager-ey that can be cured with antibiotics.