Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008 End of Year Questionairre...

Here's a list of questions that a fellow blogger put together - -thought I would take the time to answer them. I will get to our New Years celebration tomorrow or the next day. Suffice to say that we made it until midnight and all were summarily tucked in and asleep by 12:15!

Now on to the answers...

1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?

Hmmm, starts with a toughie. I guess move BACK to the US is something I'd never done before, but that's pretty obvious. Oh, I went to Dollywood. Never done that before.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Unfortunately, I am boring and don't make new year's resolutions. So, obviously, I won't be making any this year.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

My neighbor in London had a darling little girl named Beatrix.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

No. It was a very lucky year.

5. What countries did you visit?

Sri Lanka, France, Germany, Great Britian (lived there too!) and Thailand.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?

Stability in our living arrangements. This whole moving thing has me knackered and I'd like to stay put for a while. Plus, stability in George's employment. The credit crisis sucks the big wazoo.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

August 1st, the day we moved to SF. November for the election - great to be back in the US for that one.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Moving and setting up house AGAIN. Also, didn't gain any weight (hardy har har har).

9. What was your biggest failure?

Trying to be a better mother, cook and housewife. The transition from working to stay at home working isn't always a bed a roses for me.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Oddly enough - - no.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

A pair of red patent leather shoes. Great new measuring cups.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

The boys both deserve a big fist bump for making the transition to SF fairly seamlessly. It seems no matter what country we throw at them, they end up fitting in like they had never lived anywhere else. They are a resilient duo.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

The US political machine. I was embarrassed to witness so much low brow politics from both sides. Further, as a republican, I was embarrassed for my party's candidate. I honestly believe that had John McCain ran for president as the guy he always was - - he would have made a better showing - - and earned my vote.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Down the stock market drain/vortex/black hole. Glug, glug, glug.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Watching Henry perform in the school play. Watching Georgie play in his first "real" basketball game. Going to In & Out burger for the first time in years. There's one right down the street from us. Can you say, "Double-Double???"

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?

Apple Bottom Jeans by TPain. It's not something I would choose to be played in my funereal song list, but the boys LOVE that song and play it endlessly. It's sort of like the "Knock Three Times" of 2008 for me.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?

a) I am usually happy, so I am no happier or sadder. b)I am exactly the same weight wise. Although I wish I were thinner, I am getting used to me being this size. Plus, if I don't do anything about it - - I can't bitch about it. Further - -see about In & Out comment... c) Poorer. Thanks to the credit crisis. Damn. There goes the nest egg.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Gone out with George on dates. Gotten more frequent pedicures.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Cleaned. I am getting better at my little o/c cleaning problem, but I wish I could do less of it and still be happy in my house. Cannot get rid of the "dust is the devil's snow" mantra in my head.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

At home for the first time in a few years. It was nice being here in SF with my two believers. It was a quiet day of opening gifts, going out for GREAT chinese, and watching the boys hone their mercenary skills. Top notch.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?

Nope. Already did that a while ago. It's still sticking.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

I still can't get used to watching US television - - i.e. knowing when shows are on and managing my schedule around them. We watched Mad Men on DVD and LOVED it!! Also watched the first season of the Tudors and loved that too.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

Not much of a hater by trade. Still hate my father's widow, but that's a grudge I need to let go of. 18 years is a long time. Give it up already.

24. What was the best book you read?

I read a lot of books and then summarily forget the titles. Still, my favorite book in that last few years has been "The Shadow of the Wind". Great book. Good reading. Oh and for shear reading pleasure without any sort of mental gymnastics I will take anything from Jodi Picoult or Elizabeth Berg. Oh yeah and for any one with kids that wants the shit scared out of them, I would suggest reading "the price of priviledge" it will make you stop doing everything that you are doing.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

That I cannot manage any ipod or musical device. Al the boys have them. I feel flummoxed. Plus, I don't like wearing ear buds. Paranoia that someone will sneak up on me.

However, I am loving having access to US radio stations again and can submerge myself nicely there for hours.

26. What did you want and get?

I wanted a house in SF and I got that.

27. What did you want and not get?

I did not want to move away from London. I got that.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

So many unforgettable films. But, the one that gave me the greatest enjoyment (which I am embarassed to say) was Mama Mia. I went by myself on the weekend before the boys got home from camp after several weekends of moving and moving and moving to SF. It was the perfect release, toe tapping mindless blather that I needed at that very moment. I imagine that it would not have the same effect if it wasn't surrounded by all the chaos.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 49 years old. I had a nice date with my husband at a great Italian restaurant and ate lots of white truffles and drank really grand champagne.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Staying in London. A healthier economy. Knowing that I could get a better kabob in SF - miss those damn things. Bring on the garlic sauce.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?

Used to be I had two sets of clothes - - "Working" and "Dead T-Shirt and Jeans." The transition to cool outfits for people who don't work any more has been dreadful. Am trying to find the balance between boring and expected (aka lots of black. that's the ticket) versus the whole "outfit" thing which required something in prints and the inclusion of colors not found in nature.

32. What kept you sane?

My husband. Although conversely, he also makes me insane sometimes. But he puts up with me pretty well.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I'm a McDreamy fan - so cute. Great hair. Not such a great actor, but I am only looking at him.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Hmmmmm, that's a toughie. Let's see - - OH, how about the number of US senators/mayors/congressmen who have been brought up on charges of acting inappropriately - - money, sex, prostitutes, affairs.... Naw, let's go with the election.

35. Who did you miss?

Lots and lots and lots of people. We move too much, And after all these years, I still miss my Dad. Wish he would have known George and the boys and watched Shannon grow up.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

A few folks in London. Monique comes to mind first.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.

Life is what happens when you're busy making plans. But then, I already knew that.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

Can't even think about that one. "Row, row, row your boat??"



O.K. - now for the rest of you.... go ahead and answer these yourself. A good exercise to reflect. Something I don't do too often. Hence, "the Queen of Denial".

1 comment:

KB said...

I'm much more of a McSteamy fan, but I hear you on Patrick Dempsey. "Can't Buy Me Love" is a favorite Saturday afternoon hangover movie.